Tuesday, June 06, 2006

To mash-up, smoosh etc etc...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, you are expecting a cute piece on mashed potatoes, little fella with stuff liberally smeared across face, torso, hair blah, blah, blah.

Indeed, this is a regular occurance in our house but I have just come across this: A mashup is a website or web application that uses content from more than one source to create a completely new service. I had no idea.

Apparently, content used in mashups is typically sourced from a third party via a public interface or API. Other methods of sourcing content for mashups include Web feeds (e.g. RSS or Atom) and JavaScript.
Much the way blogs revolutionised online publishing, mashups are revolutionizing web development by allowing anyone to combine existing data from sources like eBay, Amazon.com, Google, Windows Live and Yahoo! in innovative ways.

Geez, you live and learn... If anyone knows of any particularly good examples of this, I would be most interested to hear. An obvious opportunity exists for Seb and Schnubelhopper to create one for Seb's bid for Prime Ministership of England but I am keen to hear of others.

4 comments:

CCCCppppCCppp said...

M

G'day Mummy out there in kangarooland. Thanks for the visit . I was wondering where yoo were. Sonnyboy is fine. I guess yoo don't read the other blogs. I try to keep up on him at homecarevent. While he was in the hospital my posts got a little mixed up.Too bad about the garbage in Chile. We need some sort of "New World Order" Court to toast these rascals. I'll mention the computor stuff to Hubby. It's beyond my current level of understanding I'm afraid. My laptop bit the dust and Hubby has been sucking all the info into the desk top so I'll have all my lovely bookmarks back soon. Unfortunatly I can't spend much time in here . Today I'm multitasking so it's "allowed".

Jose Chavez said...

I know how to program, but somehow I refuse to learn HTML or any other thingy as I consider them to be inferior lol. And I don't learn PHP because I r teh lazy.

SC said...

Mummy, your genius is only outstripped by your thoughtfulness. I think that, with Schubel's technical expertise, Angel's charm, and your intelligence and native wit, we will soon be running the world. I would like to invite you to become a Government Minister. Please choose a portfolio.

The Phosgene Kid said...

I don't know, Blogger is already pretty mashed-up.